February 11, 2013

Brimming With Good Things

I'm forging on! This week I made "My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake" (not *my* mother-in-law, rather Nigella Lawson's). I didn't get it to make it *quite* as the recipe called for it, I accidentally used up my only lemon making a dinner this week and forgot to replace it. So! I had to skip the lemon zest, and use a blend of lemon and lime juices. (Different, right?) It still turned out pretty tasty though! And it was lovely to look at; always a plus! Though I'll admit, I had to shave off some "too dark" spots when it got out. I'm still dealing with the whole pan-isn't-quite-the-right-size issue so it had to stay in a few minutes longer that was good for it's appearance.


"This is baking at its simplest and most elegant. There's no folderol or fancy footwork: you just feel humble and worthy and brimming with good things" - Nigella Lawson



Recipe From "How To Be A Domestic Goddess" by Nigella Lawson

My Mother-In-Law’s Madeira Cake

1 cup softened unsalted butter
¾ cup sager, plus extra for sprinkling
grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups self-rising cake flour
½ cup all-purpose flour

9x5-inch loaf pan, buttered and lined with parchment paper or wax paper
Preheat the oven to 350F.
          Cream the butter and ¾ cup sugar, add the lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of flour for each. Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and, finally, the lemon juice.  Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar (about 2 tablespoons should do it) as it goes into the oven, and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove to wire rack, and let cool in the pan before turning out. 
          Makes 8-10 slices.

Variation: Add the juice of another half lemon and a tablespoon or two of poppy seeds.

Since it wasn't very lemony I made a lemon-blueberry sauce to go over it. So tasty!
I have been reading other books, one of which I am *super* excited about and I will hopefully be able to share a review with you soon!

Happy Domestic-ing,
~Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment